Top Occupations in Demand:
- Customer Service Representatives in these industries:
- Information Technology, Logistics, Manufacturing, and especially the Finance, Insurance, and Business Services.
- For the Information Technology sector, demand is high in the Information sector as well as across all sectors for IT professionals on all levels.
- Machinists are in demand for the Medical Device Manufacturing sector and within all of the Advanced and General Manufacturing sectors.
A survey of 450 unemployed and underemployed persons revealed that 64% needed public transportation to/from worksites and 62% are willing to apply for work via smartphone. Of those surveyed, 33% were interested in customer service, 21% were interested in light manufacturing & assembly and 33% were interested in warehouse positions.
High Demand Occupations in 2021, Memphis MSA
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics: +6.5% increase in workers
- Computer User Support: +6.4% increase in workers
- Customer Service Representatives: +3.0% increase in workers
- Machinists: +7.7% increase in workers
Higher Education Needs – Focus Group Results
- Information Technology firms expressed a desire for more availability of internship programs for IT students enrolled in vocational and 4-year programs.
- 50% of the engineering firms participating were satisfied with the pool of engineering graduates available locally. The other 50% recommended expanded training in drafting software and other methods of engineering theory.
- Companies in logistics and warehousing cited a shortage of customer service representatives with sales experience as well as entry-level forklift drivers.
- Manufacturers cited a strong demand for machinists, CNC operators, grinders and middle management supervisors.
All the companies expressed a willingness to work with local schools and workforce agencies to fill the gaps.